Thursday, January 14, 2016

David Bowie, RIP -- January 14, 2016

www.listal.com
Monday morning the clock radio went off.  I switched the radio to AM and tuned in to KCBS.  The lead story was the passing of David Bowie.  I said "No, it was his birthday the other day."  He had just released a new album. 

I thought of a friend who had died of AIDS.  He transferred into our class at Saint Monicas when his family moved from Hong Kong.  He was a big fan of David Bowie before Bowie had a hit here.  I might have heard "Space Oddity," but I wouldn't swear to it.  Derek wore his hair the way Bowie did at the time and dressed as much like him as he could.  I learned from a Facebook toast by a classmate that years later Derek introduced her to David Bowie at a party.  I was happy to read that.

I liked the way he kept changing his looks and his clothes and his music. 




No comments: