Friday, April 22, 2016

Good Night Sweet Prince --

www.listal.com

"HORATIO: Now cracks a noble heart. Good night sweet prince:   
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

-- Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act 5, Scene ii

I sitting at work when a lady in the next aisle asked someone "Did you hear?  The Prince died."  He asked "Which Prince."  She said "You know, the Prince, the singer."

Moments later, a coworker whom I have known for many years instant messaged me from Arizona.  He said "Michael, James Brown, Rick James, now Prince.  All my idols are dying."  I said that at least JB lived to a good old age.  I thought Prince took better care of himself than Rick James.  This was a great shock.

Prince could sing, dance, compose, assemble and lead a band and play a number of instruments, particularly the electric guitar.  He is up there with Duke Ellington as an American composer.


No comments: