Sunday, October 2, 2016

Vin Scully Retires -- October 2, 2016


Vin Scully was a fan of the New York Giants.  Mel Ott was his favorite player.  In 1950, he began announcing Brooklyn Dodgers games.  Today, after 67 seasons, he is retiring as announcer for the Los Angeles Dodgers.  Ironically, the last game of the Dodgers' season is against the San Francisco Giants, at Pac Bell Park.

I have always hated the Dodgers, but admired Vin Scully.  When I was young, I discovered that I could tune in Los Angeles AM stations at night, including KFI, which carried the Dodgers.  I like his voice.  It is soothing. I wish him well. 

The Giants have guaranteed at least a tie for the National League Wild Card.  They have beaten the Dodgers in the first two games of the last series.  There was a tie for the Willie Mac award, between Javier Perez and Brandon Crawford.  Both good choices.

Updated 9:00pm.  The Giants swept the Dodgers and secured the second wild card spot.  The Giants carried Vin Scully's call of the third inning.  They unveiled a plaque in the press box, marking the site of Scully's final broadcast.  Willy Mays stood with him. 



No comments: